Monday 27 January 2014

Exploring Kampala....

So, aswell as working in the day, I've been exploring my neighbourhood and new City in the evenings and at the weekends. Now I'm getting more used to the traffic chaos, I'm enjoying walking around my new neighbourhood.


Namuwongo market area


I've been struck by how friendly everyone is. My walk to work in the morning takes less than 5 minutes, but during that time, I'm greeted by about 20 people all saying "hello, how are you?, are you fine?" It's a bit of a contrast to my London commute...!

I've been spending some evenings relaxing at the guest house:



and am getting used to the (currently) fairly frequent power cuts:

A slightly freaky photo of me reading my kindle during a power cut...


Other evenings, I've been out and about. Little Donkey is a brilliant Mexican restaurant up the hill from where I live:



Further afield, I went to a nice steak restaurant last week and also to a BBQ on the other side of town up the hills, which was fantastic fun. I also went to a Jazz bar called JazzVille last week, only they had stopped playing jazz! - but it was a nice bar nonetheless:


Enjoying the beer (but no jazz!) at JazzVille


I'm also (very slowly) getting used to the boda-bodas (or motorbike taxi - called boda-bodas as they originated as bicycles with large panniers, used for smuggling goods across borders via rural footpaths (border-border)). To help with this, on Sunday, I went on a boda-boda tour of the City. Here are some pics:



The old taxi park (known locally as "organised chaos")


The Bahai Temple - one of only 8 in the world and the only one in Africa





Jack fruit!


Sampling the jack fruit


Nakasero (food) market
 

The Gaddiffi/ national mosque:













 
 




View of Kampala


Local lunch
 


The King's/ Mengo Palace





2 comments:

  1. Have you found the pub quiz yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I have! It's every Thursday at somewhere called Bubbles... I haven't actually been yet though but will go. Whoever wins has to run the quiz the following week. Sounds like the booby prize to me but JC's heaven probably.... xx

    ReplyDelete